Since many Americans are still quarantining, we’ve all become a bit handier around our apartment homes. All of those home improvement and décor projects that have taken a back-eat are being put into action. Hey, it keeps our minds busy and our bodies occupied when a lot of our usual go-to activities are unavailable. So, without further ado, here is another DIY project for your list: floating shelves!
• 2- 1/4 inch x 4 foot sanded plywood project panel
• 2 – 1-inch x 2-inch x 8-foot select pinboard
• Wood glue
• Stud Finder
• Brad nailer, or finish nails
• Painter’s tape
• White paint
• Step 1: Cut these pieces into the following dimensions: 4 – 1 inch x 2 in x 21 inch; 8 – 1 in x 2 inch x 6.5 inch; 4 – 1/4 inch x 8 inch x 21 inch; 4 – 1/4 inch x 2 inch x 8 inch; and 2 – 1/4 inch x 2 inch x 21 3/8 inch.
• Step 2: Screw these pieces together to make a frame for your shelves.
• Step 3: Clamp, and then glue the sanded panels to the frame. Glue the side finish pieces to the frame, being careful not to get glue on that end 1-inch x 2-inch front piece.
• Step 4: Once glued, go ahead and remove the 1-inch x 2-inch front piece that was there for alignment purposes only.
• Step 5: Attach the frame to the wall from the inside with a screwdriver, after you’ve used a stud finder to find a stable place. Make sure it is level before adding the screws.
• Step 7: Attach the second shelf the same way, checking all of your measurements and keeping things level.
• Step 8: Re-attach the 1-inch x 2-inch boards to the fronts of each.
• Step 9: Glue the remaining 1/4-inch boards to the front and use a brad nailer, or finish nails.
Wipe away any glue, and while that’s drying, tape the shelves to prepare them for painting.
• Step 10: Once the glue is dry, apply 2 coats of paint, with space to dry in-between. Now, your DIY shelves are complete! Decorate accordingly.
Whether it’s money, pet care, or DIY tips, we have all the information you need right here at The Augusta Apartments in Houston, Texas. We invite you to enhance your lifestyle with these helpful tips!